Messages, Meditations, and Musings on the Life of Faith by Rev. Dr. Scott E. Olson, Interim Pastor, Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Faribault MN

Sunday, January 11, 2015

"Who Am I?" - Sermon for the Baptism of Our Lord Sunday

Who Am I?
Baptism of Our Lord Sunday – Narrative Lectionary 1
January 11, 2015
Grace, Mankato, MN
Matthew 3.1-17

This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.

When I was a teenager, I became aware of the notion that teenagers are supposed to have identity crises. So, from time to time, I’d look in the mirror and wonder what it was and when mine was coming. The truth of the matter is that I pretty much knew who I was: a good student who loved to read, someone who loved sports though wasn’t the greatest at them, with the exception I was becoming a pretty good bowler. Sure, I had my fair share of insecurities as any teenager would, but I really wasn’t insecure about whom I was. Unless I was totally oblivious, it seemed that the people I hung around with were about the same. Of course, we tried on various identities like we tried on leisure suits and Nehru jackets, but that’s not quite the same, is it?

Today we hear Matthew’s version of Jesus’ baptism, one that is narrated in one form or another in all four gospels. Jesus’ baptism has given rise to not a small amount of scholarly squabbles and speculation: what did Jesus know about himself and when did he know it? Did Jesus know from the beginning that he was God’s Son, did he have a growing awareness of it, or was this a big surprise at his baptism? As interesting as this question is, the important point is that Jesus’ identity as God’s Son is proclaimed loudly and clearly. Jesus is not only God’s beloved Son, but God is also well pleased with Jesus. Now, what is just as important is that what Jesus’ identity as God’s beloved Son means for the world will continue to unfold throughout the gospel, culminating in his death and resurrection.

When I meet with parents prior to baptizing their child, we talk about the many promises contained in baptism. One of the promises God makes to us is that through God’s grace we have a new identity. Like Jesus, God declares to us that we are beloved children and claimed by God forever. We learn what the Pharisees and Sadducees needed to learn, that our ancestry or credentials, though an important part of our identity, are not the most important thing about us. Whatever your name, whatever identity you own or is thrust upon you, the only important identity you have is child of God.

In the musical film version of Les Miserables, the main character Jean Valjean has been released from prison after 19 years for stealing a loaf of bread. He is not able to get work, so he steals from a bishop who has given him food and lodging. After being caught by the police and dragged back to the bishop, Valjean experiences grace at the bishop’s hand. Valjean is not only allowed to keep the silverware he has stolen, but is given silver candlesticks as well. Following this overwhelming act of forgiveness and grace, Valjean sings a soliloquy, “What Have I Done.” It ends with these lines: “As I stare into the void/To the whirlpool of my sin/I'll escape now from that world/ From the world of Jean Valjean/Jean Valjean is nothing now/Another story must begin!” Valjean’s new identity as a child beloved of God led to work in the world that served others. Later in the story, he will have to confront is old identity because another man has been unjustly accused of being him and stands condemned. Valjean sings another song, “Who Am I,” that highlights the struggle we all face in our identities that the world insists to impose upon us.

As Valjean learned, if we don’t see ourselves as beloved children of God, then we won’t see others that way, either. So, to make this real, I want you to take out your smart phones, take a selfie and send it or post it in social media with these words: “I am a beloved child of God and you are, too.” If you don’t have smart phone, during the passing of the peace I want you turn to someone nearby and say these same words, “You are a beloved child of God; peace be with you.” Then, when you come forward for communion, dip your hands in the water, make the sign of the cross, and remember you are a beloved child of God. Nothing this world says or does can ever change that. Jesus Christ died and rose again so that this will always be true and that you will never be separated from that love. You are a beloved child of God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment