Messages, Meditations, and Musings on the Life of Faith by Rev. Dr. Scott E. Olson, Interim Pastor, Christ Lutheran Church, Preston, MN

Sunday, March 25, 2018

"Uncommon Sense" - Sermon for Palm Sunday

Uncommon Sense
Palm Sunday – Narrative Lectionary 4
March 25, 2018
Grace, Mankato, MN
John 19.16b-22 & John 12.12-17

Ralph and Rupert, friends since college and are now alumni of that same institution, were attending their class reunion. Rupert says to Ralph, “Say, Ralph, what do you think of our new college president?” “Well,” said Ralph, “He seems to think pretty much like I do.” “So,” said Rupert, “You must really like him and think he’s doing a fine job.” “Heck no,” said Ralph, “I don’t have enough sense to be a college president.”

Our readings from John today force us to ask what kind of leader we want versus what kind of leader we need. If you’ve been listening closely, you’ll notice that John’s gospel—far more than the other three—hammers home the point that Jesus is a king. And, if we’re honest, Jesus not the kind that thinks like us. If this scene were being played out today instead of 2,000 years ago, I think that you would see the religious leaders wearing baseball caps and waving banners that say, “M – I – G – A”: “Make Israel Great Again.” No doubt some of those people in the crowd waving palm branches thought that would happen as well.

But, Jesus isn’t the kind of king who steps into an arena armed with a sword, a shield, a spear and soldiers. Rather, Jesus steps into the arena laying bare the heart and soul of a God who loves us deeply. As we heard earlier this year, this God loves the world so much that he risks everything he is and has to bring new life to us. Jesus comes and shows us that the only kind of kingdom worth ruling and living in is the kind of kingdom that values compassion, the courage to open our hearts and connect with one another.

I have to admit that there are times when I am in utter despair because it seems like Jesus’ kingdom is nowhere to be seen. There are times when I wonder why I keep dragging myself into the pulpit, it all seems so futile. There are times when I wish Jesus would come back, kick some devilish butt, and finish it once and for all. But Jesus is my king and thank God I don’t have the sense to be one because every once in a while, if I pay attention, I can see Jesus’ uncommon sense at work in the world.

I take heart when I see our young people standing tall, saying that the way of violence is not a value we hold. I take heart when one of you expresses a soul-crushing concern for the hunger rampant in our world and seeks to give everything you have to feed people. I take heart when I see you who are wounded and hurting, walking with one another in pain, sustaining one another on your life’s journey. I am encouraged when I see you stepping into the arena daring to believe you can change things in our world.

Today we continue our journey with Jesus, going to a place where death happens so that we can have life. Part of that death is letting go of our vision of what life is going to be by following our king Jesus, even if it means going to the cross. In Jesus’ kingdom, that makes uncommon sense. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment