Messages, Meditations, and Musings on the Life of Faith by Rev. Dr. Scott E. Olson, Interim Pastor, Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Faribault MN

Sunday, March 28, 2021

The Holy Week Hokey Pokey - Sermon for Palm Sunday B

The Holy Week Hokey Pokey

Palm Sunday B

March 28, 2021

Grace, Waseca, MN

Mark 11.1-11


7Then they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks on it; and he sat on it. 8Many people spread their cloaks on the road, and others spread leafy branches that they had cut in the fields.


One way to read scripture is to imagine yourself in the text; who are you and what are you doing? What are you thinking about what is happening? Are you one of the disciples sent to fetch the donkey, wondering what Jesus is up to? Is this a fool’s errand? Has Jesus prearranged this or does he somehow know something we don’t? Are you one of the other disciples or hangers on who have been following Jesus? Do you spread your coat on the ground or donkey? Are you going in front leading the way or bringing up the rear, shouting, “Hosanna!” which means “save us?” What do you want Jesus to save you from? Do you think this is a kingly procession? What kind of a Messiah or King are you expecting Jesus to be, saving you from what? Is Jesus a warrior king that will overthrow the Roman occupation? Or maybe you identify with Jesus, knowing that things will not turn out well for you this week, that the cheers will turn to jeers when the crowds are disappointed. Where are you in this story?


One thing I’ve learned about myself is that I’d probably be one standing off to the side watching to see how this unfolds. I’d like to say that I was with Jesus every step of the way and deeply committed to him. Mostly likely, though, I’d be seeing how this all plays out, waiting to see what happens. That’s why the image of the people’s coats is helpful, challenging, and also unnerving. This Lent, we’ve been using the book Lent in Plain Sight: A Devotion through Ten Objects, to help us enter the passion story. In the readings for Palm Sunday, through the object of the coats or cloaks, the author encourages us to reflect on how much we are holding back in our walk with Jesus.


Thinking of tossing my coat with abandon like those first followers of Jesus is helpful because it is one way for me to enter the story when I might hang back. Considering giving up something that I wouldn’t have much of, even for a moment, is hard for me. I like to cling to what I have. Using the image of coats also  challenges me to question why I’d have such a difficult time letting go and going all in with Jesus. It makes me ask if there are parts of my life that I’m holding back from Jesus, waiting, watching, on the sidelines. Thus, this exercise is also unnerving because if I answer honestly, I might have to change. I might have to go outside my comfort zone and, gasp, raise the palm branch above my head and wave it vigorously.


There’s another aspect of using the coats as a way into the text that I have also found helpful. A number of years ago I did a training session for acolytes, showing them how to put on a robe and cincture, bow reverently to the altar, and so forth. I also reminded them that the Saturday evening service would be “robe-less,” so that they would realize their street clothes would show. (Sometimes young people wouldn’t care what they wore thinking it would be covered by the robe.) Immediately, a parent raised their hand and asked, “What’s your dress code?” I almost got suckered into that, but received the grace to pause and think. Then I said, “I don’t have a dress code; I want our young people to bring your best selves, whatever that is.” Thinking about the coats spread on the colt and road prods us to consider bringing our whole, best selves in our faith walk with Jesus.


This is challenging for me, because I tend to stand on the outskirts, observing. Many times this serves me well as I am able to see the big picture and think strategically. However, the downside is that I don’t often fully engage in the life Jesus invites me into. If you are like me, maybe as a start you can see this as an invitation to fully enter Holy Week by participating in our Maundy Thursday and Good Friday services. In other words, to do the “Holy Week Hokey Pokey,” if you will, by putting your whole, best selves in. You see, the road to Easter and the empty tomb goes through the Last Supper on Maundy Thursday and the cross on Good Friday. So, where are you in the story and where is Jesus inviting you to be? Please join me as we travel the road with Jesus this week. Amen.


To watch this sermon in a video click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment