Messages, Meditations, and Musings on the Life of Faith by Rev. Dr. Scott E. Olson, Interim Pastor, Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Faribault MN

Sunday, May 16, 2021

Can You Imagine … A Share in the Ministry? - Sermon for the Seventh Sunday of Easter

Can You Imagine … A Share in the Ministry?

Easter 7B

May 16, 2021

Grace Lutheran, Waseca, MN

Acts 1.15-17, 21-26


I have a warm spot in my heart for the First Reading from Acts 1. I used it for a devotion that I was asked to do during a call interview 21+ years ago. It seemed like a good text for a call committee and call process. In my devotion, I pointed out that the two candidates, Justus and Matthias, were equally qualified, that either candidate would “fill the bill,” albeit in different ways. In an anxious situation like a call process, I wanted to remind the call committee that ministry would be different with each candidate but still vital and valid. Then about 10 years after that interview, I used verses as an intro to each chapter of my doctoral thesis. The thesis detailed work with our synod’s nominating team, helping them increase their capacity to engage missional leaders for service on the synod council. During that research I came to understand the importance of a nominating committee and continue to use this passage in work with nominating teams.


So, you would think I know this passage. However, this week, thanks to some colleagues, I had a “Rick Carlson moment.” Dr. Richard Carlson, one of my seminary professors and an expert in Greek and the New Testament, came into class one day saying, “I saw something in this text I hadn’t seen before.” I don’t remember the biblical text (I think it was from Luke), but I’ll never forget the excitement of receiving something from God. Regarding this passage from Acts, the insight I had was this: the disruption that comes with the departure of a key leader, for whatever reason. The effect of this disruption almost gets overshadowed by the death, resurrection and ascension of Jesus. Yet, we miss something important if we think the early church is simply mechanically replacing Judas.


We need to stay with this text a bit and fill in the blanks of what is only hinted at. Judas was someone who had been with them all this time, a part of the inner circle and privy to Jesus’ deepest thoughts. He was even the “treasurer,” entrusted with stewarding the money for the group. So, after the events of Good Friday, no doubt there were some who blamed Judas for what happened to Jesus and for the problems that ensued. The emotions would run high. Regrettably, if we stay in blaming mode, we miss the significance of how Peter et al. respond to Judas’ actions and his subsequent death. In the end, it’s not about maintaining the organizational structure, it’s about being witnesses to Jesus’ risen presence.


I like how the theologian Jerusha Matsen Neal puts it: “…this passage gives us a snapshot of a particular community doing that brave, provisional work in a particularly fraught time.” This is not people “getting over it and getting on with it.” These are people acknowledging the pain of the disruption yet intentionally making themselves vulnerable to be hurt again. And it’s all for the sake of the gospel. As Peter notes, Judas was numbered among them and allotted his share in this ministry. The ministry is to be shared.


In my work with your Discovery Team and my conversations with your leadership (and others), it’s clear that Grace is still feeling the effects of the disruption caused by the departure of past leaders. Most recently, it was the retirement of a longtime, beloved pastor followed by a pastor who had different gifts and was significantly different in leadership style that made ministry difficult. But before I continue, I want to be clear that I’m not calling any of them Judas or treacherous. I’m simply asking you to acknowledge the disruption and ensuing pain.


So, I am encouraging you to do more of what I have been inviting you to do this Easter season through the book of Acts. I want you to imagine what the resurrected life under the guidance of the Holy Spirit can be like. For today, can you imagine being honest about the grief you’ve experienced and doing the brave work necessary to prepare for your next senior pastor? Can you imagine being honest that neither of you will be what the other expects but to extend grace, forgiveness and understanding to one another for gospel’s sake?


Can you imagine encouraging your call committee and church council to find “A One” rather than “The One,” not as settling for someone to fill a slot but to accept the variety of pastoral gifts that might be offered? Can you imagine that all of you, together, not just your next pastor, are allotted a share in this ministry of witness? I believe that you can not only imagine these things but will also be led by the Holy Spirit to realize them. Figuring this out is not easy, but I see you on your way and will continue to walk with you through it because I have a soft spot for you and this kind of work. Thanks be to God! Amen.


To watch the video version of this sermon click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment