Messages, Meditations, and Musings on the Life of Faith by Rev. Dr. Scott E. Olson, Interim Pastor, Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Faribault MN

Sunday, October 10, 2021

With an Open Hand - Sermon for the Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost

With an Open Hand

Pentecost 20B (Lectionary 28)

October 10, 2021

Good Shepherd, Wells, MN

Mark 10.17-31


In 2016, about five and a half years ago I took a sabbatical, my first in 20 years of ordained ministry. It was a wonderful gift of time and reflection. A major portion of the sabbatical was a Quiet Retreat (not totally silent) at the former Holy Spirit Retreat Center north of Janesville, run by the Sisters of St. Francis order based in Rochester. When I arrived, I was greeted by Sr. Monique, who greeted me by name. When I asked how she knew me, I learned quickly I was the only male attendee. I almost turned around and left, but I'm glad I didn’t. I was able to read, sleep, meditate, work with a spiritual director and take long walks.


One day as I prepared to take a walk, I made sure I had my wallet and cell phone before leaving. As I did so, I wondered why taking those was so important. Was I afraid the nuns would steal them? I didn’t need them; why was I so attached to them? So, I began leaving them behind, reflecting on how my possessions often end up possessing me and wondering where the fear came from. So likewise, today I’m inviting you into a spiritual practice, “With an Open Hand.” You should know there are other names for this practice, and you should also know that we will be traveling through some territory that may be uncomfortable for you. That’s okay; participate as you are able. If you need to take a break, sit quietly until we’re finished.


The difficult territory we are traveling through is our Gospel reading from Mark chapter 10, the story of a wealthy man who comes to Jesus wondering about eternal life. There’s a lot we don’t know about why the man comes to Jesus. Maybe he truly wants to know if there is anything he can do to merit God’s grace. Maybe he’s a seeker. Or maybe he is smug about his destiny and simply wants an “atta boy” from Jesus. There is much to be discussed here that we don’t have time for today, but what I want to focus on is how our relationship with our possessions affects our relationship to God and each other.


So, like my phone and wallet, I think that there are things we all hold so tightly it affects our functioning. There’s a story that says indigenous peoples trap monkeys by placing food in a hollow coconut tied to a tree, with a hole just big enough for a monkey’s hand, but not for its fist. All the monkey needs to do to be free is simply open its hand, but the monkey refuses to do so, even if it means saving its life. So, here’s the uncomfortable part: what are you holding onto with a clenched fist that’s trapping you and keeping you from the life God wants for you?


It could be possessions that are possessing you. One of my colleagues told me of a former neighbor who bought a very expensive car for his daughter who had just gotten her drivers license. Unfortunately, he couldn’t sleep because he worried she’d be car-jacked. It also could be anger at something that happened to you, a grievance you have against someone or suffering you have endured. As a congregation, it may be something that holds you back and keeps you from moving into the future. In this spiritual practice of “With an Open Hand,” I’m not suggesting that you “Let go and let God,” nor am I saying that you need to “Give it to God.” Those may be helpful practices for you. What I am suggesting is that you open your hand and hold whatever it is lightly. In other words, you acknowledge the item is yours, but that no longer has power over you.


We are able to do this because we have a God who opens his hand with his Son Jesus Christ. Jesus willingly opened himself through love, just as he loved that rich man, so we might have life abundant, not just at some future time but today. If you are willing, I’d like you to close your eyes and think of one thing that you are holding onto that is keeping you stuck. When you have thought of it, tightly clench it in one fist.  As I pray, slowly open your hand and hold that item lightly, acknowledging it but knowing that it has no power over you any longer. God loves you and opens his hand so that you may live because with God all things are possible. 


Good and gracious God, giver of all good things: help us open our hands when our fists are clenched tightly around the things that keep us from the life you intend for us. Free us from the tyranny of being possessed by our possessions. Loosen our fingers so that we may hold those things lightly, acknowledging they are a part of us but no longer control us. In Jesus’ name, amen.


For the video version of today's sermon click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment