Messages, Meditations, and Musings on the Life of Faith by Rev. Dr. Scott E. Olson, Interim Pastor, Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Faribault MN

Sunday, November 21, 2021

Awaken! Here the Voice of the Good Shepherd - Sermon for Christ the King B/Stewardship Commitment Sunday

 Awaken! Heed the Voice of the Good Shepherd

Christ the King B – Stewardship Commitment Sunday

November 21, 2021

Good Shepherd, Wells, MN

John 18.33-38


Who has taught you generosity? For me, the first and obvious answer is my parents. My dad would do anything for anyone, including taking his own vacation time to paint their house. Both mom and dad opened up our house to my friends unreservedly and it was a place to hang out. They became Ma and Pa Olson to a number of my friends. Furthermore, whenever someone ate dinner, they were always asked, “Did you get enough to eat?” ad nauseum. We never had much growing up, but that never stopped my parents from sharing what we had.


There are some people born with large hearts, but most of us started out pretty self-centered. Babies are born needy, and their whole world revolves around eating, sleeping, and clean diapers. I know that God wants us to be generous people because it’s one of the fruits of the Spirit. So, somewhere along the way, somebody teaches us to be generous people. Who taught you?


 I think about the Fleming family who lived two houses down, who although they were Catholic and we were Lutherans regularly opened their hearts and homes to us, as we did to them. I think about Mr. Michel, my high school Advanced Biology teacher, who stayed after school so I could get some much-needed extra lab work in, but also opened himself up to us in other ways. Who taught you?


There is much about our world that isn’t generous and even resists the notion of generosity. It’s a world symbolized by Pontius Pilate and those religious leaders that want to see Jesus dead. It’s a world where power reigns supreme and any threat to that power is met swiftly and with deadly force. Getting ahead, amassing stuff, doing whatever it takes to succeed are the orders of the day.


It was my wife, Cindy, who helped teach me a better, more life-giving way through sacrificial giving. Either just before or just after we were married, Cindy informed me that we would be tithers, giving 10% of our income to the church. Two thoughts entered my head, which I had the good sense to keep there. The first thought was, “Does she know how much we don’t have?” Of course, she did because she’s an accountant and handles our money. The second thought was, “I wonder how long this will last?” Well, it’s lasted over 41 years.


The true teacher, for Cindy of course, and ultimately me, was God through his Son Jesus Christ. Through sacrificial giving, I’ve learned to trust God for everything I need and I’ve never lacked for anything. Even more so, God doesn’t ask any more from us that God is willing to give: his own Son Jesus Christ. Jesus as Christ the King has a halo of thorns for a crown and a cross for a throne. 


You see, it’s not me who is the hero, nor any of the others I mentioned, but God through Jesus, the Good Shepherd who calls us to awaken and heed his call to generosity. So, who taught you about God’s sacrificial love through generosity, and who will learn from you? Amen


For a video of the full worship service including the sermon, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment