Messages, Meditations, and Musings on the Life of Faith by Rev. Dr. Scott E. Olson, Interim Pastor, Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Faribault MN

Sunday, May 1, 2022

Do You Love Me? - Sermon for the Third Sunday of Easter Year C

Do You Love Me?

Easter 3C

May 1, 2022

Good Shepherd, Wells, MN

John 21.1-19


For some churches, this time of year brings forth Confirmation services for their young people. Or, as it is technically called, Affirmation of Baptism because Confirmands are agreeing to the promises their parents made on their behalf. The other day, one of my colleagues wondered how today’s Gospel text could relate to Confirmation. I thought about the promises that these young people will be making, affirming the ones their parents made for them in baptism, to continue the life of faith through worship, prayer, generosity, and service. Yet as I consider today’s text from John, I wondered if this pastor should simply ask each Confirmand three times, “Do you love Jesus?”


Those of you who were able to be with us last week are wondering what is going on with John’s Gospel. Clearly last week’s text sounded like an ending, and you’d be right in saying that. Much ink has been spilled about chapter 21 and its role in the Gospel, if it is an addition or part of the original Gospel. From my reading, it’s likely an epilogue that has been added. Its reason for being here is highly speculative, but it seems it revolves around Peter and Jesus. In Jesus’ threefold question, “Do you love me?” Some observers believe that this is Peter’s rehabilitation” for having denied Jesus three times, but I think there is more going on in the text than that.


I must say that I can relate to Peter’s discomfort at Jesus’ grilling, though perhaps not for the same reasons. I know about the so-called “Greatest Commandment,” to love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength. And I know the one Jesus says is equal to it, to love our neighbors as ourselves. I know these, but I don’t know how to love. You see, I tend to live in my head more so than my heart. I’m more comfortable thinking rather than feeling so this is a real challenge for me to sort out and figure out what it means to love Jesus. If I were one of those Confirmands who was asked, “Do you love Jesus?” I’d be hard pressed to know how to answer.


This story has many facets and there is no lack of themes to explore. But the one that makes the most sense in light of Jesus’ questions to Peter is what discipleship looks like post-resurrection. The disciples have been following and learning from Jesus for three years. They have received their marching orders at the Last Supper, but everything looks different this side of Jesus’ crucifixion, death, and resurrection. If there is a sense of Peter’s rehabilitation, it is helpful to remember that in John’s Gospel Peter doesn’t deny knowing Jesus. Rather Peter denies being a follower of Jesus, in other words, a disciple.


In this exchange with Peter, Jesus does two things for Peter (and for us). First, Jesus gives Peter a sense of belonging, that he and Peter are in a relationship with each other and the other disciples. Second, Jesus reminds Peter he has a purpose, that loving Jesus means loving what Jesus loves. The invitation to follow Jesus, to feed his lambs, to tend his sheep extends to all of us. God has a mission to love and bless the world, and for that mission he has you and me. Whether you feel it or not, God’s love is poured out to you and through you to heal a hurting world. Do you love Jesus? Follow him and tend his sheep. Amen.


My written sermons often preach differently "live." To watch the video, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment