Messages, Meditations, and Musings on the Life of Faith by Rev. Dr. Scott E. Olson, Interim Pastor, Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Faribault MN

Sunday, September 25, 2022

The Good Fight - Sermon for the Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost Year C

The Good Fight

Pentecost 16C (Lectionary 26)

September 25, 2022

Good Shepherd, Wells, MN

1 Timothy 6.6-19


In a conversation the other day, Bob told me about Frank, the person that hired him for a position he held for several decades. He told me how Frank was far more than a boss or supervisor to him. As the years passed, Frank not only became a mentor to Bob, but also a second father to him. Most of us who have been grateful for a similar relationship understand just how important they are. Charlie was an associate pastor at the very large church where I did my internship. He was not my supervisor, but was a mentor. I still recall the first Sunday I preached, live on the radio and knowing there were several current and former pastors in attendance. I was nervous, even at 40 years old, but Charlie simply said, “They need to hear the Gospel, too.” I’ll never forget that. The support, encouragement, and even constructive criticism mentors give are crucial for our growth as persons.


That’s the same kind of relationship that “Paul” has with “Timothy” in our reading today. Though most scholars agree that the Apostle Paul did not write this letter and that it was written much later than he could have written it, that doesn’t negate the letter’s power and importance for us today. Timothy is a young person of faith, probably in a leadership role in his congregation. They are beset by false teachers who are leading them away from the faith, distracting them from the gospel. As you can conclude from today’s reading, one issue Paul counters is that being a person of faith results in wealth. Unfortunately, that version of the so-called “Prosperity Gospel” is still alive today.  Those who seek to follow the way of Jesus know better. And if you really need more convincing about the both dangers of wealth and its responsibilities, look more closely at today’s Gospel reading in Luke 16 about the rich man and Lazarus.


But, what struck me about the reading from 1 Timothy was the encouragement Paul gives to Timothy here near the end of the letter, to “fight the good fight of faith” and to “take hold of the eternal life, to which you have been called.” I’ve thought long and hard about what final things I might say to you on this, my last Sunday. Now, I don’t want to be arrogant in thinking that my words will be memorialized for all time, but I do want to leave you with some final thoughts as we both enter the next phase of our lives.


First, some of you have expressed your concern regarding your future. You see the effects of the pandemic on attendance and giving, wondering if you see the handwriting on the wall to close the church. To be clear, you are nowhere near that point to be even thinking about closing. Good Shepherd Lutheran Church is blessed with many things: a fine staff who love Jesus and are serving faithfully; strong leadership; vital ministry teams who are doing God’s mission and ministry; and a welcoming, accessible facility open to congregation and community alike.


Second, I know that you are anxious because you don’t have a settled pastor in the wings. Your leadership is working with the synod on a bridge pastor and they’re hopeful one will begin soon. I truly believe that this is a great call in a terrific community and that a pastor will want to come here This week, I found myself correcting myself. In order to be pastoral, I began to say to people, “You’ll be fine.” That is, until I realized that sounded condescending and not exactly true. You see, I need to add, “You are already fine.” You are God’s beloved to whom God has given great gifts. You are fine.


In a little while, we will share a “Litany of Farewell.” But I want to end by saying “Thank you” for embracing me as your interim pastor, for the privilege of walking along beside you during the most important times of your lives. Whatever you think I’ve done for you, know that you have enriched my life in so many ways. And though I am no longer your pastor, I will pray for you and hold you in my heart. So, siblings in Christ, fight the good fight of faith and take hold of the life God has given you. Amen.


My written sermons often preach differently "live." To watch the video, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment