Messages, Meditations, and Musings on the Life of Faith by Rev. Dr. Scott E. Olson, Interim Pastor, Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Faribault MN

Sunday, January 26, 2014

"Savior of the World" - Sermon for the Third Sunday after Epiphany

Savior of the World
Epiphany 3 – Narrative Lectionary 4
Grace, Mankato, MN
January 26, 2013
John 3.1-21

We are now into our second year of the Narrative Lectionary, in which each gospel has its own year. I appreciate this because, as you may be able to tell, I love the gospel of John. I come by it honestly: as an ENTJ on the Meyers-Briggs Personality Type Inventory, John is the favorite of NTs. I love the double entendres, the sharp polarities, and the provocative symbolism. And there’s Jesus himself, talking past those who meet him, inviting them into a deep mystery. He comes off as a 600 year old Jedi Master: Inscrutable, sometimes, he is. Yet, in the midst of these mind-bending conversations come nuggets of breathtaking simplicity and clarity.

Today’s conversation with Nicodemus, affectionately known as Nic at Night, is no exception. Nicodemus comes under the cover of darkness to encounter the light, showing both symbolism and polarities. John is obviously pushing us to the light. And John arguably two of the most famous double entendres of all: anothen and pneuma. Are we to be born again or born from above? Is it wind, breath, or spirit? As my Confirmation students can tell you, when a pastor asks you an either/or question, the answer is YES! And, of course, there’s the simply most profound verse in the Bible, what Martin Luther called the “gospel in miniature,” John 3.16: “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.”

Yet, as awesome as this verse is, I’ve come to appreciate even more so John 3.17: “For God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but so that the world might be saved through him.” Part of the reason is that there has been a lot of talk about heaven, hell, and who is going where. But I think more so because of something that happened to me in elementary school at release time almost a half-century ago. Back then we were able to go to a local church for an hour a week for religion class. On one occasion, presumably in an effort to elicit a conversion experience in us, we were shown a “comic book” that vividly depicted people burning in hell, condemned because they didn’t believe in Jesus. We literally had the hell scared into us and though I appreciate some Christian’s passion for Jesus, I’m convinced that is not the message Jesus brings. I am convinced more than ever that God sent Jesus to save the world, not condemn it.

There’s far too much condemnation and judgment in our world and far too little grace and hope. Incredibly, I have sat with actively dying members who wonder if they are good enough for God and my heart aches for them. Haven’t they heard the message of Jesus? I was distressed to read the results of a high school survey in the Free Press this week on teenagers and suicide. Not only was I concerned at the level among students, especially girls, who have suicidal thoughts or attempted suicide, but it seems that many of the good initiatives to combat this problem aren’t working as well as hoped. Then there was Leonard Pitts’ op-ed piece about how cruel people have become in their comments and judgments on others, freely shared in social media.

But, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn us, only what separates us from true life. Like Rob Bell in his book, Love Wins, I believe that God never, ever gives up on us and not even death will prevent God from bringing us to new life. It becomes even more personal as I struggle over my father’s death 25 years ago. Worried about his health and salvation, I’d just sent a letter with an Easter card, telling him in writing what I couldn’t say in person. He died before he saw the letter. For years, I agonized not knowing if he was with Jesus, but now I am convinced that God will never let my father go. I think that’s one reason God called me to be a preacher, so that I could preach this until I believe it and when I believe it, preach it all the more: God sent Jesus to love us whether we want it or not. My brothers and sisters, I hope you have heard a clear word today of God’s unfailing love for you. Good news, it is. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment