Messages, Meditations, and Musings on the Life of Faith by Rev. Dr. Scott E. Olson, Interim Pastor, Christ Lutheran Church, Preston, MN

Sunday, February 2, 2014

"Come and See, Part 2" - Sermon for the Fourth Sunday after Epiphany

Come and See, Part 2
Epiphany 4 – Narrative Lectionary 4
February 2, 2014
Grace, Mankato, MN
John 4.1-42

Come and see someone who told me everything that I have ever done! John 4.29

Four weeks ago we heard similar words on the lips of Jesus in chapter 1. He invited those two disciples of John the Baptist to “come and see” in response to their question about where he was staying. Then a few verses later it is Philip who issues a similar invitation in response to Nathaniel’s rather cynical question about whether anything good could come from Nazareth, Jesus’ hometown.

So, given the circumstances of today’s reading, it is tempting to hear the Samaritan woman’s words to her neighbors as a mixture of wonder and awe at Jesus’ abilities in somewhat the same category as a nightclub psychic or carnival huckster. A more generous reading would be that Jesus, as God’s Son, certainly has uncanny knowledge about people and events, but that is getting ahead of ourselves. Even the woman’s earlier declaration of Jesus as a prophet, while carrying more import, misses the mark. It is helpful to know that unlike the Jews, who believed the Messiah would be a warrior king, the Samaritans believed the Messiah would be a prophet like Moses.

Having said all that, this is an absurd conversation between Jesus and the Samaritan woman, but not in the way you might think. It’s absurd because it’s an authentic conversation that never should have happened in the first place.

Literarily speaking, much like the religious leader Nicodemus whom we encountered last week in chapter 4, the Samaritan woman acts as a foil for Jesus’ unfolding revelation of himself and his mission. Yet, she is much more than a stock character who exists solely to highlight Jesus’ identity and purpose. In contrast to Nicodemus in last week’s reading, not only is she unnamed, a woman of no standing, and a despised Samaritan, she comes during the light instead of darkness. (Here it’s important to remember how powerful the images of light and darkness are in John’s gospel.) Furthermore, instead of fading away into the night like Nicodemus, she runs to her townsfolk bearing witness to Jesus: “Come and see a man who told me everything that I have ever done!”

I really life Eugene Peterson’s translation of this verse in The Message: “Come and see someone who knows me inside and out.” I imagine she could have added: “Come and see someone who takes the time to listen and talk to me. Come and see someone who meets me where I am in my life of faith, but shows me so much more. Come and see someone who listens and respects my deep questions of faith. Come and see someone who doesn’t care what my past is, only my future. Come and see someone who challenges me to live a greater life than the one I am living. Come and see someone who, because he is willing to give himself away, shows me that true life is going to be found in giving myself away, too.

She might have added, “Come and see the one who sees us first, who seeks us out before we ever go through the trouble of looking for him. Come and see someone who knows that we are thirsty before we even know it ourselves and gives us the kind of water in which true life is found.” Many of these revelations about Jesus may not have come in that moment and clearly her life of faith is budding and not in full bloom.  Yet even the beginning of faith is powerful when shared with someone else.

I’ve mentioned coming back to the church and rededicating my life to Christ. It was a time of continued questioning and growth and I had only an inkling knowing what I didn’t know.
Around that time I was transferred to Chicago with Minnesota Fabrics and one night I was invited to the home of one of my employees, Marty. She and her husband, Floyd, had a good friend from Michigan visiting and thought we’d enjoy each others’ company. I still don’t know how it happened, but late that night around the dinner table we began talking about God, Jesus, the church, and my new journey of faith. I certainly didn’t go there intending to share my faith, but all three, especially Mark, decided to go deeper in their lives of faith.

It’s important to note that it’s not about us; it’s about what God is doing in, with, and through us. The Samaritan woman shows the power of leading through imperfections, what God can make in our most imperfect lives. What would that look like in your life? Where Jesus has seen you first and addressed your thirst? What would you say to a friend, neighbor, or co-worker? Come and see someone who … what? You could even say, “You know, my pastor raised this question in his sermon the other day. Do you mind if I run it by you?” See what happens; it’s not as absurd as you might think. God bless you this week as you are strengthened by the one who knows us inside and out, who gives you the water of life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment