Messages, Meditations, and Musings on the Life of Faith by Rev. Dr. Scott E. Olson, Interim Pastor, Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Faribault MN

Sunday, February 21, 2016

"Drinking the Cup" - Sermon for the Second Sunday in Lent

Drinking the Cup
Lent 2 – Narrative Lectionary 2
February 21, 2016
Grace, Mankato, MN
Mark 10.32-52

“Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?”

Our staff has been using the Clifton Strengths Finder for almost two years now. It’s been an insightful tool for us as we identify our strengths and figure out how to leverage them as a team. It’s also been helpful to me personally to understand what my gifts are and what they are not. It may be no surprise that one of my top five strengths is “Achiever.” Being an achiever means that I like to work hard and I like to get things done. Being an achiever also means I have teeny tiny competition issues; I like to get ahead and I like to win.

This strength served me well in the business world, a place where being better and achieving more was both encouraged and rewarded. I was always looking for the next challenge and the awards that would come with it. Being an Achiever also served me well as I transitioned to seminary, working hard to be the best student so I could be the best pastor. However, it was hard being called to a small rural church in my first call when I had been used to managing stores with a million dollars in sales and 30-40 employees. It was also hard accepting a call as an associate pastor serving with a senior and another associated. When the senior pastor retired, my Achiever and competition issues kicked into overdrive with the other associate pastor. It was not my finest hour.

I think if James and John were given the Strengths Finder, “Achiever” would be in their top five strengths. They pull Jesus aside and lobby for the choicest spots in the kingdom as they think it is coming. Who can blame them? They have cast out demons and healed people. They have seen Jesus transfigured on the mountain top. Yet, what’s remarkable is that this request comes immediately following Jesus’ third and last “passion prediction.” He has repeatedly told them what is going to happen to him and what discipleship means. So, it is not hard to imagine Jesus doing a face palm, giving a deep sigh and saying for the third time, “Guys, it’s not about that. Let me tell you—again—what it means to follow me. So, listen up.”

Jesus introduces this last set of instructions with question important for us all: “Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?” James and John eagerly say, “Yes!” much like a child who has begged for a puppy and asked if they will take care of it, oblivious to what it takes: getting up at all hours, walking it, feeding it, and picking up poop. So, Jesus says the James and John: “Yes, you will, even though you have no idea what it means.”

Last week, John Odegard did a great job of talking about how hard it is to be a follower of Jesus. He talked about the fact that only God can bring in the kingdom, but invites us to be a part it in some way. So, it’s serendipitous that we are baptizing his and Jenna’s daughter, Lyra Lynn, today. Did you know that if this were an Orthodox church we would have fully immersed Lyra, naked as the day she was born, symbolizing her dying and rising? That she would then be given her first Communion? Can you see the connection to today’s text? John, Jenna, the sponsors and you all made promises to help her follow Jesus and in doing so have renewed your own baptismal promises to follow Jesus.

The good news is that the way of Jesus, losing ourselves and serving others, is where life is found.  The better news in this is that, like the disciples, whenever we stumble, whenever our strengths become weaknesses and get in the way of being the servants Jesus calls us to be, he never gives up on us. He picks us up, gently explains to us again and sets on our way. As you come to take the cup of Jesus yet again or as you return to your seats, dip your hands in the font to remember that you have been set aside to serve God by serving others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment