Messages, Meditations, and Musings on the Life of Faith by Rev. Dr. Scott E. Olson, Interim Pastor, Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Faribault MN

Sunday, February 28, 2016

"For Whom Am I in Charge?" - Sermon for the Third Sunday in Lent

For Whom Am I in Charge?
Lent 3 – Narrative Lectionary 2
February 28, 2016
Grace, Mankato, MN
Mark 12.1-12

Last week I talked about the Clifton Strengths Finder, the tool we use both individually and as a staff to identify our strengths. It was not my intention to make this a series, but this week I was again led to think of another of my strengths: Analytical. As an analytical I like to, well, analyze stuff. In doing so, I like to look for patterns and connections between things. Combined with my other strengths, I like to think things through fully before deciding, I usually know where I am going and how I’m going to get there, and I need to know why a goal is important. But (you knew there was going to be a “but,” didn’t you) I also have teeny tiny control issues. Because of my strategic strengths and ability to see the big picture, I very often find myself in charge, thus the control issues.

Who is in charge seems to be at the heart of the parable of the tenants in the vineyard. However, before we tackle the parable, I need to say some things to clear the way. First, parables as a category are hard. Though there are a variety of types, for all of them they are not to be as much explained as they are to be explored. Designed to help us gain a deeper understanding of God, Jesus and the kingdom, they are meant to provoke us more than anything else. Second, most people see this parable as an allegory: owner = God; vineyard = Israel; tenants = religious authorities; servants = prophets; beloved son = Jesus. The element that is up for debate is the “others” to whom the landowner will be handing over the vineyard.

Third, it is important to know that Jesus is now in Jerusalem and is being interrogated by various groups of religious leaders. Just prior to this, Jesus responds to their question, “By whose authority do you do these things?” The tension is rising and this parable indicates that Jesus is aware he will die at their hands. Last, it is probable that following Jesus’ death and resurrection the early church used this parable to legitimize its presence and ministry.

Granted that this background is important and helpful, we can’t let it deflect its importance for us today. It would be easy to say that this parable is only aimed at the religious leaders of Jesus’ time. Or, if we allowed a current application, that it’s only aimed at the religious leaders of our generation who abuse their power. Doing so robs the parable of its power for us. As much as the religious leaders have moved from analytical to critical, calculating and controlling, the parable challenges us to ask, “For whom is God in charge?” In the season of Lent, a time for reflection both personally and as a community of faith we are led to ask, “What are the ways we take God’s place?”

We don’t like that question any more than the religious leaders 2,000 years ago, at least I don’t like it. Although I’m not always aware, I do kill God’s servants and Son when I think it’s only up to me to accomplish anything. I fail to give God’s share when I think that everything I have accomplished has been due to my own hard work. And I engage in crazy thinking when I plot and calculate and control as if no one else can or will help do anything.

Yet, the God news for today is that, as crazy as I am, God is even crazier because God’s grace abounds. The parable of the tenants in the vineyard also tells us that this God has invested everything in this vineyard we call the world. This crazy God is all in, even to the point of sending the Beloved Son, a son we killed. And when we killed this Son, God raised him and continually sends him back to us. Why does God do this? Because this crazy God is crazy in love with us and everything this God has made.

We have a place in God’s kingdom and God’s work. After all, God has made this for us and placed us here. But in order to remind myself for whom is God in charge, I try to emulate former Presiding Bishop Mark Hanson, who quotes Pope John XXIII: “It’s your church, Lord. I’m going to bed. I’ve done all I can.”

So, in what ways is God inviting you to let go? Let us pray… Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment