Messages, Meditations, and Musings on the Life of Faith by Rev. Dr. Scott E. Olson, Interim Pastor, Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Faribault MN

Sunday, July 5, 2020

"The Yoke of Love" - Sermon for the Fifth Sunday after Pentecost

The Yoke of Love
Pentecost 5A
July 5, 2020
Grace, Waseca, MN
Matthew 11.16-19, 25-30

About a dozen years ago, I had arthroscopic surgery on my right shoulder, called a subacromial decompression. It involved shaving off a bone spur that had been slowly shredding the rotator cuff. Left untreated, it would have eventually torn the muscle. My arm was in a sling for six weeks with limited usage after two. I had to sleep on my back in the recliner, and I needed help to do just about everything, which was a huge learning experience for me. Imagine needing help with everything you do during the day. I discovered three things during this time: One, you can get pretty creative when you need. Two, people are more than willing to help you when you ask. And three, it can be humbling, but a blessing, when asking for it. 

It was a lesson I learned a few years prior when I discerned that God was pushing me to get a doctorate. I told God that if he wanted me to do that then he would have to help me find the money to pay for it, because I couldn’t afford to do it. God replied that he’d already given the money, but that I was to ask for it. So much for self-sufficiency and doing things on my own.

I wonder if the early faith community Gospel writer Matthew addresses had similar discoveries and similar difficulties with trying to go it alone. If you have been able to be with us the past several weeks, you’ll remember that Jesus has had some hard words for his followers, that following him is not going to be easy. Jesus told them that the good news is not always good news to some people, that he expected them to take up his cross, deny themselves, and follow him. Jesus said this could damage their most intimate relationships, even dividing families. In this section, Jesus uses a short parable that underlines the hypocrisy of the religious leaders who put them in a bind. No matter what they do, the religious leaders of the day are not satisfied. Neither John’s asceticism of fasting nor Jesus’ libertarianism of eating with tax collectors and sinners impresses them. Even worse in Jesus’ mind, they are oblivious to God’s work in both John the Baptist and Jesus.

After Jesus assures them that the so-called intelligentsia aren’t so intelligent he tells them that they are the ones who see clearly who Jesus is as God’s Son. Then he invites them into a soul-refreshing relationship: “Come to me all who are weary and carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me; … For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Now, I’m struck with those words, “easy yoke” and “light burden,” which crack me up. They appear to be oxymorons, two opposite words paired together in an ironic way. My two favorite oxymorons were made popular by the comedian, George Carlin: “jumbo shrimp” and “military intelligence.” The latter allows me to tweak the nose of my older brother, who had a career in military intelligence.

Now, celebrating Independence Day this weekend may tempt us to declare we don’t have any yokes. “We’re free” we cry, declaring that no one can or should tell us what we can do or can’t do. In reality, we all have yokes and are carrying burdens to one degree or another. Some of the yokes are placed upon us and others we place upon ourselves. Many times they are expectations; other times there is a sense of hopelessness or despair. The yoke that I often carry, the one I was invited to shed after surgery, was self-sufficiency. It was a yoke that claimed I didn’t need anybody’s help and I certainly wasn’t going to ask for it. Trust me, it’s a lonely yoke and heavy burden.

I often read these last few verses to people going through difficult times. Maybe they are hospitalized or dying. Perhaps it’s family members who are gathering to say goodbye to a loved one. Jesus’ words are a reminder to them (and me) that we are not alone in our struggles. You see, we tend to think of yokes as negative things, as signs of oppression, and they can be when used wrongly. But when Jesus talks about a yoke, he is using it positively, because yokes are used for guidance and direction. But even more importantly, yokes are there to share the load of the difficult work we find ourselves doing. The “easy yoke” that Jesus offers makes for a “light burden,” giving rest for our souls.

What is the yoke that Jesus offers us, that makes our burdens light and gives rest to our souls? I think it is the Yoke of Love. Through Jesus’ all encompassing, sacrificial love, he enfolds us and gathers us together with him in such love that both binds us to him and enables us to love others in response. When yoked in love, following Jesus becomes easier, because when it’s about love we find rest for our souls. I learned that during my shoulder surgery and doctoral work, and I continue to learn it as I walk with you. The good news for you today is that Jesus’ Yoke of Love is already there for you waiting to bless you and give you rest. Amen.

To view a video version of this message, go the Grace Waseca Facebook page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment